Consumer units manage the electrical power supply to homes and workplaces by splitting electrical power feeds into subsidiary circuits, with a breaker or fuse for each one. We stock various consumer units, fuse boxes and distribution boards for domestic and workplace use.
Our consumer units are manufactured in a range of hardwearing and secure materials such as ABS plastic, polycarbonate, metal, and high-impact polystyrene. Leading brands in our product line include ABB, Europa, Legrand, MK Electric, Schneider Electric, Siemens, and Wylex.
What types of consumer unit accessories are available?
Consumer unit accessories are component parts used in conjunction with consumer units and fuse boxes. They can include any of the following:
- Busbars and related products
- Mounting accessories
- Replacement parts, such as fuses, earth terminals and indicator lamps
- Cable accessories
- Locks and related products
What features should I look out for when buying consumer units online?
- Number of ways - the total number of different circuits a given fuse box will be able to create from a single incoming electrical power feed
- Current rating - different ratings for current carrying (and sensitivities to current leakage in RCD safety devices) can vary considerably from unit to unit, so it's important to understand the appropriate parameters for your install location
- Split load configuration - the split load configuration determines exactly how a safety-focused split load board is arranged, including the placement of RCDs and mains isolating (also called double-pole) switches
- Dimensions - to ensure the physical length, width and depth of your chosen consumer unit will fit comfortably in the home or workplace space allocated to it, with sufficient room for access and maintenance when the cover is fully opened
- IP rating - short for International Protection or Ingress Protection marking, this is a measure of how resistant to the ingress of moisture and dust particles a given unit will be, and can be an important factor in some install locations (especially in industrial environments)